Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Force is with us.


12. 

23/03/2009

Pigorilla Power!

One more sea day till San Francisco is a fantastic feeling to have. There is only so much one can do at sea and while I have very few constrictions and constraints, there is always the ever present passenger, very much like Big Brother in Orwell’s 1984. The analogy is not entirely correct, but they are always there and always watching. Perhaps it’s just me and my obsequious nature....always making an effort, always being considerate and attentive.....right up until the top of my skull blows off and a potent portion of molten lava sprays all over like an elephant at the water-hole spraying trunk-loads of muddy water on itself  on a hot African day. In any event, the days are not easy and made even more difficult by the absence of punters at my classes. There are ways of getting more, but soon the Worldie will be over and I’ll be back to straight forward cruising where my introductory seminars pull the punters in like bear to a honey-pot. At that point I’ll be happy because I am making enough money to buy the odd beverage, my employers are happy because they know I am working, and time flies by so that I can race into the next leg of my life with the kind of enthusiasm that one can only find in people that don’t consider too much too often.

There is a cheese and wine party in the crew bar this evening, and while I am welcome, it is difficult to forge relationships here with people that I wouldn’t ordinarily speak to so am not bothering. The downside is loneliness, but I have little to say to most of the people and wouldn’t know what to say, even if I thought that I should say something. As a result, I get through things as you do, but look forward to the turn-a-round days when, not only new passengers, but also new crew come on board and perhaps I could find something like a friend that would make life a whole lot more bearable on-board.

The big advantage, of course, is the port days, which always include a long cycle in a different country and as we get back to regular cruising, there are more and more of them.

I trust that all is OK on the outside world....I no longer watch television and am immersing myself in the ships library like a baby to its mothers bosom.

Keep the Faith, and may the Force be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment