Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Devil is in the detail!


Pigorilla Power!

51 or is it 52

26 August 2009

So much, I have to do....a fine to argue with the City of Westminster, a house to tidy before my sisters’ return in three hours, a room to try and return to the bedroom it’s supposed to be rather than a jumble sale of memories. My motor-bike, for so long my freedom from life, remains cold and dead in its damp dark Ealing garage protected by spiders and memories. My life too, remains cold, not that it hasn’t been to warm places, but nowhere guided by long-term intelligence. Indeed, “long-term” was never a term I’ve reserved for my life....you cannot live my life if it was.

It’s good to be back on land, but I miss the amount of time I had to think on the ship.....not that it ever amounted to anything nor never amounted to nothing neither.....something comes from most things.....all as equally as unimportant as each other. The only difference in the importance of something is the importance we give it, and the importance we give it is driving some selfish part of our nature, no matter how altruistic the deed or thought may appear. Once the fundamental simple truths of life are considered and understood, there is very little that remains, but death. Most times, it comes before either consideration or understanding to any of these things have even been given the time of day, and do know what? It matters not. That is how very silly it all is!

Surprisingly, none of this is necessarily bad.....it all just happens to be part of our primitive existence. I didn’t intend to write too much....as I said, there is lots to do, and it is never enough as much as it is never finished. With purpose, you can give credibility to your own existence, and if you have managed to do that, that is enough. Anything beyond that is the sad area Giacomo Leopardi finds himself in “To the Moon”. How I’ve stared at that moon. Perhaps it is good that we use events to measure the length of sadness, happiness, life, death. Isn’t it so much better when you’re younger, with soo much hope, and sad events, even recent ones, with pain still enduring are just soo much easier to cope with.....

My thanks to my friend Barbara for introducing me to Giacomo Leopardi’s works.....I am not happier for it, but then how could I be?

To the Moon

Oh gracious moon, now as the year turns,
I remember how, heavy with sorrow,
I climbed this hill to gaze on you,
And then as now you hung above those trees
Illuminating all. But to my eyes
Your face seemed clouded, tremulous
From the tears that rose beneath my lids,
So painful was my life: and is, my
Dearest moon; its tenor does not change.
And yet, memory and numbering the epochs
Of my grief is pleasing to me. How welcome
In that youthful time -when hope's span is long,
And memory short -is the remembrance even of
Past sad things whose pain endures.

Giacomo Leopardi 

No comments:

Post a Comment